Friday 28 November 2008

New OpenID Selector

After doing my own little usability study on two Javascript OpenID selectors, I decided I could come up with something better.

I wanted something that was simple for users that had no knowledge of OpenID. Here is what I came up with:

1.


2. After user clicks on OpenID logo:



... or if the user clicks on the AOL logo:


Although I do think this is an improvement for usability I don't think this offers a final, long term solution for OpenID. OpenID should be a neutral system and by showing company logos is a form of advertising for these companies. And that is not fair.

Should we try and hide the fact that OpenID is being used to make it user friendly?
Should we try and find a way to quickly explain OpenID to new users?
Should we abandon URLs and use email addresses instead?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - nice work. Could you add some info explaining the config for the non-OpenID parts of your script? I see Google, Yahoo etc are there, but they just go to a static page which doesn’t exist.

TracyGrand said...

Hi, your open ID selector is really nice. However, there appears to be a bug when you try to sign in with one provider then back up and try a different one. E.g. try signing in with Google. Then, instead of proceeding, back up to the page with the selector. Now click Yahoo. As you'll see, instead of going to Yahoo's openID page, it still takes you to Google.

Unknown said...

I've learn some good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you place to create one of these magnificent informative website. Also visit my homepage
Drupal developer London